Saturday 12 January 2013

Headdress










Having chosen to work on a boy with short hair I realised that it would be difficult to do much design work with the hair. So taking inspiration from my chosen tribes Surma and Mursi I decided a decorative and very fitting idea would be to create a head piece. I had to think carefully about this because I wanted to create the correct balance between fashion and nature. This is a combination I have been balancing throughout the project. I wanted to make sure that I didn't loose the essence of the tribes I was researching throughout this blog. I went shopping looking for inspiration to go with the tribal head pieces I had already looked at and found a ring used to create a wreath. I decided that this would blend well with my work and be a suitable start for my homemade headdress, the twisting twigs bound together reminded me of the organic tribal headdresses I had seen my research. I already knew that I wanted to incorporate feathers within the design as during my research of both fashion and original tribe images feathers seemed to be a reoccurring theme. Finally I decided to entwine knotted pieces of dark red material around the base of the head piece to add another texture and earthy colour to the headdress. The images in this post show my own headdress as well as images that inspired me, I think the use of things found around them to make such beautiful headdresses is stunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment