Tuesday 9 October 2012

Maori Tattoos







Maori Tattoos originate from New Zealand and are some of the more unique and striking facial tattoos I have ever seen. Know as Moko it is a tradition that has been around for centuries. These tattoos are carved so heavily into the skin that they can leave grooves and give the same effect as a wood carving. I thought that these tattoos were beautiful to look at especially because of their three dimensional qualities. I have previously been interested in these facial tattoos and produced a make up look in which I replicated the Moko style using a free hand interpretation that used eyeliner all over the face. Having developed my skills and understanding of make up further from that point I have to think about ways in which I could create the textured three dimensional effect.

3 comments:

  1. Looks almost like Mexican tattoos, nice btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what rubbish is this on that girls face? Its definitely not Maori...It looks like a 3 year old took a vivid to yr face & tried to draw a cat..
    Do Not pass this crap off as Maori, its an embarrassment!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a visual artist working in New Zealand. I work with a lot of Māori organizations but I am not Māori myself. I am very careful when it comes to using Māori patterns because these are sacred to Maori. It would be considered disrespectful the way you are taking this artform and using it. I don’t expect you to understand that because you are disconnected from the integrity of the culture. But I would love it if you would reconsider posting about a culture you don’t know that much about. Maybe in the years ahead you will be able to visit Aotearoa New Zealand and connect with this amazing culture in person.

    ReplyDelete